I really don’t know where to start with this one here: Eclairs.
They kinda look like those long johns at Shipleys or whatever Doughnut shop you can think of?
Is Krispy Kreme still around?
Anyways, how you make Eclairs comes from makin a thing called “Choux Pastry”.
Choux Pastry is the basis for not only Eclairs, but also Cream Puffs or even “Crocquembouche” aka that giant tower of mini-doughnut looking balls.
Is it me (cuz I’m a guy) or has that word become weird to use over time?
Anyways. To make choux pastry is pretty easy. Even for a guy like me. And you’ll get somethin like this:
What you would need is this:
- 1 C Flour
- 1 C Water
- 1/4 C Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- BAKING TIME 15 min @400, then 30 min @ 350 degrees.
- Put everything BUT the Flour in a sauce pan and let it come to a boil. You want it at a rolling boil aka where it’s Bubblin like crazy.
- Then take it off the heat and dumb the flour. And stir like mad til it becomes a ball
- Then once you let it somewhat cool down, add one egg at a time. You can use a mixer like I did. Prob save you an arm. Just saying.
- Also it’ll look like somethin went wrong when you add the eggs in (one at a time again.), because it’ll start separating. But it’ll come together and look like smooth and creamy.
Also when you dumb the flour, be sure it’s all at once, but in small cups. I used a the 1 Cup and got splashed with hot butter water on my thumb.
Guess you can say that note is rule of thumb? HELLO!!!
I just wanted to do that. Don’t Judge.
From there, with a plastic bag or piping bag, squirt out the pastry in 3-4 inch pieces. And Bake for 15 minutes at 400 Degrees, then 350 for 30 minutes.
Nice & Crunchy on the outside, Soft & Chewy on the inside.
From there, you can dip ’em in Chocolate, Peanut Butter. Whatever your heart’s desire. (Maybe a Nutella spread or something)
They do make a nice dessert, or breakfast food. They kind are like croissants, sorta.
And thats it. In other news, my bracket for March Madness is still (barely) somewhat in tact. HOORAY!! Even though, I’m near the bottom of the barrel in point standings.
Hopefully my bracket wont be burned just yet. Although there were some upsets I wanted to see happen.
UNC-Ashville, y’all got hosed.
But that’s all I got for today. Enjoy Eclair making, guys & gals.
If y’all like what you see, comment, like and/or subscribe. I really do keep this sucker updated regularly.
BTW. I decided to read the Hunger Games. I decided to follow the crazy trend. Crazy stuff. But a good read.
But here’s one more pic of Eclairs. Til then, DEUCES!!!