I’m sure some of y’all are like “WHAT HAPPENED???!!” “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??!!”
Or some of y’all prolly didnt really care. Either way I shall explain.
Last week, I had worked A BUNCH. Esp on Tuesday (that whole Election Day thingy).
Working 13hrs and then turn around and go back to my other job, to say I had NO time to whip up anything is an understatement.
After working cray cray hours, I needed to play hookey. And this week, I had SOO much to do.
Currently I’m (trying to at least) in the middle of finishin my Defensive Driving for 1 of my tickets.
Im on a roll son!!!
So hopefully those reasons will explain it all and that you will forgive me (or you prolly really dont care about that). But I digress. I like that word “Digress”.
But with the Election over ( Politics= Lame Excuse to be Ugly towards each other), we shall focus on an important issue: Thanksgiving is about 7 days away.
We need to step up our cooking game peoples!!!
I suggest Practice or “Pre-Game Turkey Day Run Throughs”. Its important not to mess up this day cuz its somethin folks will ALWAYS remind you every year.
You know, how you dried out the turkey or how you burnt the biscuits or worse: how the dog was the reason y’all went out for Chinese for Thanksgiving.
Last year I had practice w/ the turkey and also the Pie-Cake. It exists here>>>>click!
Unfortunately there was a lack of attendance by people who shall remain nameless. But I did a good job cooking most of the meal on the actual day AND running in a Turkey Trot that morning.
Was I nuts for it. Possibly.
But here’s an idea for a dessert to throw folks off from the traditional Pumpkin Pie.
Pumpkin Spiced Ice Cream
I think this is a good idea if you’re not a “Pie Guy/Gal”. Or if you live in a hot climate and feel Ice Cream is a better option.
I got the inspiration & the recipe from one of my favorite dessert people out there, David Lebovitz.
And here’s the recipe I somewhat barely modified
Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups of Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (is there a light cream? Seriously I wanna know)
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Regular Sugar
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbs Ground Cinnamon ( or 1 Cinnamon Stick)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree ( canned or Fresh, I used Fresh cuz I got it like that!)
- Start with the Whole Milk and Sugar in a Saucepan and place it on medium-low heat til the Sugar dissolves. Dont let it come to a boil, milk will curdle.
- Whilst the Milk is warming up, Whisk the Yolks, Brown Sugar, and Spices except the Vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Once Milk is warm, proceed to slow stream some of the milk over the yolk mixtures WHILE whiskin it aka Tempering Eggs. If you don’t you risk scrambling the eggs.
- After whisking some, I’d say 1/2 of the milk over the eggs, pour the yolk mixture back into the pot and stir it for about 5 minutes.
- To know that your custard is ready, do the spoon test. Aka place the back of a spoon in the mixture, if the custard coats the back of the spoon completely then its ready.
- After you take the custard off the heat, pour thru a strainer into a bowl sitting over a larger bowl filled with ice and salt.
- Then add the heavy cream gradually as you whisk the custard over the ice to chill it.
- Then place in an Ice Cream Machine or Blender and in the freezer for 1 1/2 hrs then take out and pulse it, then place back in for another hour. Repeat process 2-3 times.
And you should get somethin like this:
Give this a shot, I actually like it. Even if you not a big Pumpkin eater. You’d never knew it.
FYI: I PASSED DEFENSIVE DRIVING!!! YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!
On the greatest day EVER 11/15!!!
With that said, hopefully y’all get some inspiration from this dessert or any other dessert I’ve made so far in the “Pumpkin Saga”
And no I despise Twilight if you wondering. Although True Blood is one of my faves.
And if y’all like what y’all see? Comment/ Like and/or Subscribe to this bad boy.
I do try to update this sucker weekly unless I work Cray Cray hours or somethin.
Heres one more scoop of Pumpkin Ice Cream for the Road.
Feels good to pass Defensive Driving on the 1st try fyi.