I’ve realized I’ve been “slacking” on my posts. Forgive me.
To be fair, last week was Thanksgiving,which is one of my fav holidays, some don’t like it.
Why?! What other day in the year (besides X-Mas) can you sit around all day in yo’ pajamas and eat food and watch football all day?
Sorry. I take it seriously. Although I may go on cooking “sabbatical” for a while.
Not sure if that exist, but I may take a break from cookin next Thanksgiving.
CLUTCH THA PEARLS!!!?? Well, I may actually take that statement back by next October.
Anyways, hopefully y’all out there had a good Thanksgiving.
I had to watch my Texans woefully beat the Lions. Honestly, I didnt think they deserved to win that game.
Then watched that RG3 (That’s Robert Griffin the 3rd) spank the Cowboys.
Then I tried watchin the Jets/Pats game and got bored and found myself watchin “The X Factor”.
Why? Idk. I hadnt watched any of it prior to that night.
I’m a firm believer that food brings us together and that day is a good excuse for everybody to get together and catch up.
Even that guy/girl who has one too many glasses of wine and starts ramblin about random things. Next holiday put a limit on’em!!!
So I had a successful Thanksgiving. I held a practice trial as y’all may know. (Or saw in the previous post)
As for the desserts, I scaled back (SHOCKING!!). I went a bit ole-skool and made (among other things) A Lemon Meringue “Tart”.
Why I call it a “Tart”, it prolly was a “Pie” but I used a tart pan as seen in that picture.
But I find the Lemon Meringue can be a tad bit tricky with two things:
1. How Tart/Sweet you want the Lemon Curd to be.
2. How to get the “Meringue” part. Egg Whites can be a tricky MoFo.
Well I’m here to (hopefully) solve that problem.
So to get this:
My recipe is as follows:
- 1/3 Cup of Lemon Juice (From the LEMONS, not the bottle)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1/4 C Butter (cold & cubed)
- Zest of 2 Lemons(thats the yellow part of the Lemon)
- Get a Double-Boiler (aka a saucepan filled with a 1 1/2 inches of water and a bowl big enough to cover it) going til it gets to a simmer.
- Prior to placing the bowl over the pan crack your eggs and beat them with the sugar til it becomes a lovely yellow mixture. Then pour the juice.
- Then wHIsk over the pot of simmering water for about 10 minutes til it gets thicker and custard-esque like.
- What the DB does is it gives the Eggs enough heat to where it aint raw anymore but not enough to scramble. But make sure the bowl aint TOO close to the water cuz that’s too much heat and it will cook the eggs.
Now the Meringue part:
- 4 Egg Whites
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Lemon Juice.
- I find separating Eggs, it’s best to separate ’em when they’re COLD. Cuz the whites are a lot heavier and will fall on their own. And THEN let’em get to room temperature. Room Temp Egg Whites will whip higher volume.
- Then add the Lemon Juice and Salt to the Whites then whip up til it gets to soft peaks. (aka soap foam)
- Then proceed to gradually add the sugar til it gets to stiff peaks. Also you can scoop out a little and rub against your finger, if it feels smooth, then the sugar has dissolved. If it’s grainy, keep WHIPPING!!!! (I sound serious dont I?)
To assemble this sucker
- In whatever crust you want (pie or graham cracker), pour the curd and cook for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven til the curd looks set and jiggly.
- Then let it cool for a little bit. While it’s cooling down some set your oven to “BROIL”.
- Then dump the meringue on the pie/tart and place under the broiler light.
- Keep it there for about 30 seconds or it goes from white to OMG it’s BURNING!!!!! PANIC!!!!!! Lets just say dont take your eyes off of it.
Then you get this:
Needless to say, it’s a classic. But I think a misunderstood dessert. I think.
Hopefully, this’ll help y’all the next time y’all want some Lemon Meringue, but are too scared to make it y’allselves.
Forgive me. Im Southern.
Speakin of which, Ive come across the debate of how to say the word “PECAN”.
Which is it? “Pee-Kahn” or “Pee-Can”?
You tell me.
Anyways, that’s all I got for now. I’ll try to come back next week. Key word “Try”.
But if y’all like what y’all see?
Comment/ Subscribe and/or Like this bad boy. I do update this sucker regularly.
Also Fun Fact: I sound like Elmer Fudd saying the word “Fragrant”.
And Holy Crap, No Shave November is almost over!!!
Dang, I have to shave soon… CRAP!